Wednesday 30 March 2016

Claudia- Face Chart Designs & Practice

As my chosen TV series the American horror story freak show is based during the 1950's, the makeup designs that I have created for Claudia are more so makeup of that time. The 1950's was all about the winged eyeliner, strong shadow and the bold red lips. This particular make up design has the basic features that 1950's makeup would have. For the base I would use my models skin colour matching foundation. On the eyes I would use very subtle colours which are the neutral beige and brown colours.


I would have the classic winged eyeliner and would have just mascara on the lashes to keep the lashes looking natural then supposed to fake. On the lips I would have the red lipstick 009 from the lipstick palette. However as every makeup technique in this design is based on the 1950's makeup, I wanted there to be some element in the make up that describes Claudia's mental state and that is the reason I have messy brows in the design. From the image of Chris Nicholls I got the inspiration of the messy brows. This explains hints out to there is something wrong with Claudia. I would use mascara on the brows and comb them in the opposite direction as this would give me a messy texture.

Looking at makeup from the 1950's I created this design and I was quite pleased with how it looked when I practiced the look. It has all the elements of the typical 50's makeup including the messy brows that were an addition to my design. Although, I was happy with the look I wasn't quite sure whether I want to have the winged eyeliner in my final design as I think this might be a little too modern as Claudia has mental disorders how will she have perfect winged eyeliner everyday? I think I will opt this out from my final design. 





Moving on from the first design that I created I came up with this second design. I kept all the elements of the 1950's make up as well as the messy brows apart from the winged eyeliner as I wanted to try and see how this design would come out without it. However, I decided to smudge the red lipstick from the corner of the lips as I thought just leaving the makeup as the first design might be a little too modern. I will use fake blood for the smear from the corner of the lips as this would be more freaky and more towards the horror side.


Keeping the messy brows and the smeared lip in this design, taking inspiration from the Image of Chris Nicholls I would like my model to have a similar pose for my final images of Claudia. I would also have blood on her hand as this will make her even more of a freak or a beautiful freak shall I say. As in my character profile of Claudia she has a mental disorder I would really like to portray this from her makeup and her expression(this will be my model's expression).







Combining all the elements from my first and second make up design I came up with this third design in which I decided to make half of her face looking flawless having the 1950's elements and decided to have the other half of her face looking the complete opposite and showing how much of a mess she really is. On the left side I kept the winged eye liner, a clean brow, the eye shadow and the clean lips. On the other side of the face I made it a little dramatic.


I kept the messy brow on the left side and went in with black shadow instead of subtle colours. I pulled the shadow upwards and made it look winged to give the cat eye effect. Using the same black shadow I created little tear like structures under the eye. However, these are not tears and they represent how mentally deranged Claudia actually is. I also went in with a darker contour and smudged the lips as I wanted that side to represent the darker side of Claudia.

I practiced this design as I was eager to see what the finished outcome would be as this is half the face of Claudia's beautiful face while the other side shows her disorders and the freak side of her. I liked the idea of having each side of the face representing Claudia's characteristics. However, I wasn't really happy with the way it looked in person. I wasn't pleased with the way the eye makeup looked as seen in the image. I think I should have used supra colour to create the black tears at the bottom the eye instead of eye shadow as this would have looked much more prominent and bold. Looking at the overall design I don't think I will be using this as my final design for Claudia. 


Ref:
Aucoin K, 1994. The Art of Makeup. Prion, London
Aucoin K, 1997. Making Faces. Little Brown, New York

No comments:

Post a Comment